Woman’s Tragic Death a Reminder to Smoke Responsibly

by Matthias Clock

72 Flares 72 Flares ×

Lyn with her beloved dog Ben

For cigar smokers, the question of the health risks of cigars is an often-debated topic. Beyond debate, however, is the sad fact that when you smoke irresponsibly, tragedy can be the result.

This was the case for Lyn Baumeister, who was killed after her husband’s discarded cigar caught fire in a trash can. The fire spread to the sofa, and the toxic fumes released by the combustion killed Mrs. Baumeister and her seven month old black lab.

From the story:

“The chair had been set alight by a cigar discarded by her former partner George, with whom she still lived. He had stubbed it into an ashtray and then into a waste paper basket. He then left for work, unaware it was still smouldering…

She left three children and six grandchildren.”

This tragic story should remind every cigar smoker that when you are done with a cigar, DO NOT PUT IT IN A GARBAGE CAN.  Simply set it down in your ash tray, ember towards the center, and let it go out to avoid risk of an ember catching. And if you are smoking inside, take the extra precaution and take your cigar outside.

Read the full story here.

What other methods would you use to avoid the risk of a finished cigar catching fire?

Matthias Clock

Matthias Clock

Matthias founded Fine Tobacco NYC in 2010. Originally from Portland, Oregon, he enjoys spending his spare time discussing politics, playing the guitar and piano, teaching Argentine tango, and organizing New York's cigar events. Matthias discovered and fell in love with cigars in 2007.

More Posts

Follow Me:
TwitterFacebookGoogle Plus

72 Flares Twitter 4 Facebook 7 Reddit 61 Email -- Google+ 0 72 Flares ×

Don't miss our cigar events! Free updates by email.

* indicates required

View previous campaigns.

Previous post:

Next post:

stats for wordpress